Monday, October 19, 2009

To Blog or Not To Blog...

To blog or not to blog was the question last week...I hope I'm not getting sick...pooped!

It was a short week last week due to the day off for Columbus day. Yay!

We had such a fun short week! As I mentioned in my last post...Yes I rushed to finish testing my munchkins. I then got 2 new students...arrrrgh! I was so happy with my "little" class of 16. In all my years of teaching (12) ~I know that's nothing compared to veteran teachers 20 years or more...I've never had such a small class. I've always had the max 22 and one year I had 24. Yikes! In Texas the max in K-3rd or 4th is 22 and numbers are higher in the upper grades. I was loving 16! But a few of them are making me feel like I have 30 munchkins! haha! Getting new students later in the year always poses many questions that run through teachers heads...~was he/she kicked out of their last school...~are they a behavior problem...~why did they move here...~do they know anything...~why, why, why?! Well, one of the boys ( ~yes two boys) looked like trouble and boy did I peg that one...yup! A bully! ~Well not in my class! The other little boy is darling! The great thing about both of them is they came in knowing a lot! Yay!!! I tested them and was very happy!!! They've blended in very well and the other munchkins have adjusted to them quite well. I still have more girls than boys...10 girls, 8 boys...it's almost equal but let's just leave it at 18.

We started discussing how pumpkins grow to get ready for our field trip to Mesilla Valley Maze and Pumpkin Patch this week! Yippie!!! With the discussion of pumpkins came the whirlwind statements about Halloween and what they wanted to be. I knew the perfect story to read them...The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything. I started by telling them they couldn't handle me reading a scary story and boy they love when I do that to them...heehee! It's really not a scary story but they don't know that! haha! We had to turn out the lights of course then I had them sit closer as I whispered in my scary reading voice. I learned it from my 3yr old cousin. You know the one...as you're voice quivers...~Ooonnnnccce Uuupooon Aaaa Tiiiimme...they were silent as I read! As I continued to read it quietly and saw they were really into it...AHHH! I screamed!...heehee! Probably gave them a few mini coronary attacks, but they loved it and almost died laughing! Haha! I know, I know...~bad teacher! Love it!! :) Now we read most of our books in the dark and they want me to scare them...haha!


Well, I got a scare myself last week. I call them "drive by's" but they're what administration call Walk Throughs, in other words mini evaluations. EEK! We were discussing a new pattern sequence and they were making their own patterns using some fun Halloween thingies I bought. During the time they were working... the crazy teacher I am had them saying their pattern to me in their scary ghost voice. ~Aaaaaa Bbbbbeeeee Bbbbbeeeee, Aaaaa Bbbbeeee Bbbbeeee In a normal voice that would say ABB! As my munchkins started this in walks my assistant principal! Ahhhhhhhh! Crap! ~Ok boys and girls good job ok now back to finishing your pattern strip. It went in one ear and out the other...~Aaaaaa Bbbbbeeeee Bbbbbeeeee, Aaaaa Bbbbeeee Bbbbeeee they continued over and over! ~Crap what do I do to stop them...I can't yell...BE QUIET!! No, that won't work! My administrator was tapping away on her iPod Touch they use for our Walk Throughs as the little ghosts kept chanting ~Aaaaaa Bbbbbeeeee Bbbbbeeeee, Aaaaa Bbbbeeee Bbbbeeee Whah!!!! Can I cry now?!! ~Good job boys and girls, now who can be the quietest ghost??? Please let this work, please let this work...Yay! Silence!!! I giggled out loud but it was a nervous giggle and so did my administrator...whew!! She spoke to a few ghosts then left. Holy Moly Guacamole!! Things actually went ok, she posted later that afternoon my results and it was all good! Thank goodness! Some comments that were posted were "They were asked to demonstrate mastery and did so successfully.....Ms. Buddé incorporated highly motivating strategies in her lesson such as asking her students to respond to questioning using their ghost voices....learning was reinforced and students received positive feedback." Double Whew!!!


Friday was fun Friday! I got them dancing!! All those years in dance classes, Trooperettes, Poms, Saltatrix, and Golddiggers pays off! Heehee None of my munchkins who have had me leave without knowing how to dance. My last group were awesome swing dancers!!! I'll post a little video clip of last year's Christmas show and Talent Show. Yes, Brian Setzer songs for both. Believe me, we like to put on a show! Fun! They're not shy to dance or perform on stage at all. This was going to be the first time I got these new little munchkins up to do dance. Some of them would say they didn't want to or didn't know how. ~oh no, not in my classroom...we ALL dance! Haha! And that they did! We all had sooooo much fun! I have a few show offs too! A few little wanna be break dancers and a few who danced like Elaine from Seinfeld...haha! The Elaine dancing will change soon, I promise! This week for fun Friday we're going to practice our robot, moon walk, and fix all the Elaine's out there...haha

Wednesday we're off to the pumpkin patch, it's a VERY long dry...cross your fingers no potty accidents!...stay tuned for more ...XOXO's
Enjoy my past munchkins Christmas and May Talent Show video clips!!!


2 comments:

  1. You make me want to go to kindergarten! Hey - I am coming to El Paso for a week in mid November - can I come visit your class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine....You're too sweet! Of course you can come visit!! What are the dates because we're off the week of Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete