Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 1...Venturing into Munchkinville

Heigh ho, heigh ho...into munckinville we go...lalalala
I wish I was that happy when I started this morning.
I decided I needed to start working in my classroom, not because I'm an eager beaver as some may think, but because I knew I had so much junk to do and my vacation days were running out. In my mind, I figured if I went early enough to try to set up my classroom, hopefully within 3 days or so, I could still enjoy my last few weeks of vacation.

Today, Monday, was the best time to start...or was it? Knowing I had to get up early you would think I would have gone to bed early but instead I was out enjoy Music Under the Stars, then checked email, watched TV, got on FB...etc. I didn't hit the pillow until 1:00 am...eek! I'm an early bird and usually get up at the crack of dawn or before the birds do... this morning was a different story. For a brief minute I wanted to just roll back over and push it off until tomorrow but I knew I had to start.

I got ready, threw on the jeans, flip flops, UT t-shirt, and UT cap and I was out! June 9th was the last time I drove down to the lower valley and it felt like it was just yesterday...ugh. My car was on auto pilot or following little bread crumbs back to work and remembered her way. Yes, my car is a she...heehee.

I drove into the parking lot and my stomach began to churn! There were about 5 other cars there, none that I recognized...hmmm...was I the only dork going that early to school. Yup! I sat in my car for a few minutes contemplating what my plan was going to be. I told myself I would only stay a few hours and get the begeebers out of there. I was nervous to see how bad my room would be after the custodians strip the floors, rewax, take out the furniture and put it back gosh knows where. I bit the bullet and got out of my car. As I walked up to the main doors I was in some type of munchkinville daze because I didn't even notice our wonderful secretary was greeting me at the door. I was startled but it was a wonderful greeting. I was so glad to see her face first. We have such sweet and wonderful ladies in our office and that was a great way to start my trek down the hallway into my dreaded classroom. Again my stomach churned as she unlocked my classroom...I just wanted to close my eyes and peak through my fingers. I'm a professional, I'm an adult, I needed to get a grip...and breathe I told myself!

Wow! What a surprise...it wasn't that bad! Whew! The custodians had put all the furniture almost in its exact place. Amazing! Well, maybe because I left pictures of how the class looked before...haha! Custodians are the Kings and Queens of the school!! They are the people who can make you or break you sometimes. If you don't treat the custodians well, your life is miserable! I'm very lucky to work with some really awesome custodians and maybe that's why the large pieces of furniture were in their place. Thank goodness!!


Once I was over the initial shock, the stomach churning started up again when I looked on the counter area...ugh! Where to begin?! When the school year ends we have to empty shelves and pack things up off the floor. What a mess! The stack was up to the ceiling! The majority of "stuff" are my books. I have tons of children's literature...I love children's books and love nurturing that love of reading to my munchkins. I think there were 9 boxes of books...oh my!

I stood in the middle of the room and just took it all in...where do I start?? I guess work my way from the top down....heigh ho, heigh ho...how I wish I could go! I knew I couldn't leave now so I started. The sky high pile started to look less and less but the piles around the room just grew..haha! It was hot because I could not turn on the air!!! The hallways were blocked, the custodians were still working and the control to my air is in a creepy old boiler room in that area. I did not want to bother the custodians to get to my air. Luckily I have two fans so I knew for sure I would only be staying a few hours. As I moved things down and into new piles I was getting tired due to lack of motivation or in spanish ganas!

I found myself side tracked looking at an old ugly, blah, wooden cabinet...hmm...I'll paint it! I found some blue paint, yes Trooper blue, woohoo!...sorry! I found that to be the most relaxing thing I did all morning. I got a bit carried away with the painting because my eyes fixated on my old, old, old, wooden desk, that I don't use much but for decoration, and threw some paint on that baby too!


It was now 10:00am and my tummy was churning...hmmm...I'm hungry! That was a great reason to leave! I looked around and took a few pictures to post and actually felt good with my slow progress into munchkinville. Tomorrow may be a different story!

I tried getting some hotties to help so I could sit back and supervise but instead I recruited some munchkins to help me tomorrow. Maybe I'll hit the hay early tonight...or not! haha!
What adventures will day 2 bring???....

XOXO!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Xochi - love the blog! I will surely follow along! which children's books are your absolute favorite "must-haves" and are there any that you would refuse to have in your room? Do all kinder teachers at your school "loop up" or was that just your idea. I think it's fabulous and should be the standard at elementary schools. (actually, probably all the way through high school) what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine...Thank you so much! I wasn't sure who would want to hear me babble...haha! It's my way of venting.

    I'll make you a list of my favorite "must-haves" and send it to you or post it. Not all teachers at my school loop. At the time, all the Kinder teachers I worked with wanted to loop up and we were given permission to. I joked with my kids I would have taught them up to college! I love it!

    ReplyDelete