Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Teacher Inservice #2...Not so wow!

Ummmm....How do I put this nicely?... Thinking.... Still thinking... UGH!!!! I was always taught if I didn't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all!!! But, I have to say something or I'll explode!

Our day 2 inservice was held at UTEP's Magoffin Auditorium. We car pooled up there and arrived a bit early. Once we walked in is when we saw that our speaker would be Dr. Timothy Rasinski. http://www.timrasinski.com/

I had heard him speak last year at a special meeting I went to and he was very informative and very interesting. I remember going back to school showing some of my teachers what he taught us. He used some great strategies to help struggling readers with fluency and comprehension so I wasn't too worried about listening to him again. We had some time so we took a walk to the new UTEP Bookstore. It was too early so it wasn't open yet but they had an Einstein Bagel shop...yum. Of course we sat and ate a bagel and they had coffee, I stuck to a Chai Tea. We walked back wondering what else we would be doing later in the afternoon.

Magoffin has changed since I remember taking classes there. All the pull out wooden desks are gone and they have real auditorium seats now. heehee! All of Kinder, 1st & 2nd grade from the district were in there, they said about 600 people. Eeek!

This is by no means a dig at Dr. Rasinski but man oh man...sitting on our tooshies from 8-4 really bit the big one!!! I don't want to blame the department who put the workshop together but I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to have us sit ALL day! Also, Dr. R didn't do ANY of the fun and exciting things I had heard him talk about once before. Which by the way only took 3 hours last year and not 7 hours!!!! So much for bragging how wonderful he was last time...sorry!!! His information was still ok but....???? :( Now for the good stuff....LUNCH!!!
They gave us 1 1/2 hours woohoo!!! Teachers aren't used to having long lunches...we only get 30 minutes but then you have to take off 5-10 minutes walking to the cafeteria and heating up food, so we learn to eat really fast! haha! Gulp!!

Since we knew there would be 600 people running wild up and down Mesa street we decided to lay low and hit back our quaint bagel shop for a yummy bagel sandwich! We actually sat and slowly ate our food and had a wonderful time. After we stuffed ourselves we went to look at the bookstore because it was open now. Wow! We were impressed...like it really matters if we approve it or not! haha We're a bunch of crazy teachers and found some cute UTEP bottoms to lounge in at home and we all bought matching ones! haha It was time to go back...but why??? whah!! :(


I felt bad for Dr. R. because the rest of his talk was probably heard by the sleeping angels. It reminded me of those moments back in Magoffin when we were lectured to and we just would "rest our eyes." If was funny to see how creative people got while they were "resting their eyes." A lady was holding her pen still...but her body didn't hide the fact she was past out!! I almost took a picture but that wouldn't have been right...heehee! Then you had the famous bobble heads and they jerk themselves awake and look around to see who noticed..haha! We were dying!!!! UGH!

Tomorrow is another day but back at our campus...we'll see what's waiting for us. Stay tuned...

XOXO!

No comments:

Post a Comment