Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day 5 in Munchkinville...Yay!!!

Heigh ho, Heigh ho...Yay! Yay! Yo!

This morning I was a little more excited to go to work because I was determined to finish before 12!! I stopped at the store for a few last items that I needed...curtain rod and some hooks. I walked in and walked out...yay for me, no detours!

When I arrived at school the parking lot was pretty empty, maybe because it was still early. Our trustworthy secretary's were there with happy smiles as always! I loved walking into my classroom today because it actually looks like a classroom. Finally!! Yesterday's cork board fiasco really ran me amuck.

At first I just piddled around not sure what to do. I finally organized my "what to do" list. I had a few projects to finish and would need my trusty tool, the glue gun...and my real tools. Yes, I keep tools in my classroom and to top it off they're in a cute pink case!! My past munchkins got a kick out of me having tools, especially the boys but the girls loved that they were in a pink case. Nice teachable moment..."girls can use tools too!" Heehee

My first project was to make a curtain for a wooden shelf. Basically, to make the shelf look neat...ok, who am I kidding, it was to hide the stuff in the shelf...haha! I had the curtain rod, the material I was going to use, and the glue gun was hot and ready! Yes, I used the glue gun to "sew" my curtain...heehee I have a sewing machine at home and know how to sew pretty well but this is the quick and easy way! I've done most of my curtains in the classroom this way. No burns this time!! Yay! It works great!!


The other projects were simple things like adding more goodies to our Calendar Area, adding hooks and screwing in screws to hang things. When you're limited to places to hang things we find anywhere we can. Teachers can find ordinary items and use them in different ways. We're pros! Hangers, clothespins, and a garment rack are great items in the classroom. The plastic pant hangers are the best! I use them to hang posters or chart tablets and they're easy to move around from place to place. The clothespins are just like huge clips! The garment rack is great for storage to hang the posters or chart tablets you're not using. Love it!


I had a few visitors come by to chat and "check out" how much I've done. heehee! One 2nd Grade teacher was going to check her room for the first time...eek! Vaya con Dios! (a blessing...heehee) I kept looking around my room for other things to fix but there really wasn't much for me to do. I left my little work area to work on so that when they give us "time" to work in our room I won't feel guilty saying I'm done...nanee nanee boo boo! ;) The "time" they actually give teachers to set up their classrooms is a joke. It's either half a work day or sometimes a full day. This is why teachers go on their own time to set up. Yuck!! I was happy I started very early because now I can enjoy not going back until I have to start teacher inservices on Tuesday. Ugh!

Four days of inservice...hmmm...those should be very interesting set of blogs. I received a letter stating what we would be doing on those four days. Very vague and not too many details. Day 1 in the am...who knows? In the afternoon we all are being bused to the Plaza to listen to our new Superintendent. Yikes all YISD elementary teachers on school buses to the Plaza??!! Field Trip!!! Haha! Day 2 Job Alike, this is where you meet somewhere with all the teachers from the district in your same grade level. Not sure what we're meeting to do or where?? haha! Day 3 at our campus...who knows? and Day 4 at our campus...who knows? Should be a very long week!!! Teachers would much rather use those days to work in their rooms and plan but no one ever listens to us...haha!! Stay tuned for next weeks adventure!

XOXO!
P.S. I did finish before 12!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Smell you! You're a bloggin'!! Congrats and welcome aboard. Isn't it addicting? I am a fan of glue guns, too. No sewing machine. They scare me. Wish i could sew... With two girls starting kindergarten next month it will be fun to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, because of you I tried this! Thank You Kara!

    ReplyDelete