Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 4 in Munchkinville...Why? Why? Why?

Heigh ho, heigh ho....why did I go???

A few days fell between the cracks last week and I finally made it back into my classroom. I was hoping today would be my final day going into the classroom until my new munchkins arrive...but as it turns out it's not!!!! Ugh!!!

I had told myself I was not going to spend a lot of money on my classroom this year....yeah right, I didn't listen to myself! I started off pretty good this weekend with a few items I needed. Then that's when I saw it...cork! Yes, cork squares. The type you use to make bulletin boards. Hmmm....

Why would I need cork squares?? Well, I spoke earlier of how wonderful our custodians are and not to cross them...well, I was a little annoyed with those wonderful custodians when they tore down my make shift bulletin board!!! Why? Why? Why would they need to remove the entire thing? I didn't ask because not much I could do now.


I say "make shift" because our school is very old...over 50 years...and we don't have many bulletin boards. The walls are covered with the old chalk boards. Some of the upper grade rooms actually have dry erase walls but my little old room has the old timer boards probably still with asbestos in them. ~cough~cough~ Heehee I know I shouldn't joke about that...we had our asbestos abatement many years back already...haha! That's actually true so I'm assuming I'm safe! Due to the hard chalk boards and working with the little ones I had to create a "make shift" bulletin board for our Calendar Area. At the time, I took butcher paper, no not paper from a butcher, heehee...it's paper in large rolls that comes in different colors and glued it onto the chalk board on one wall and made that my Calendar Area. Hot glue doesn't go over very well with many custodians...shhh! My "make shift" had been up for years...it wasn't going anywhere. For some apparent reason this year was a different story...I found it torn off!! UGH!!! I was pretty bugged! It was more because I was LAZY to redo it! heehee

This is where the cork comes in! I wish I could say it was cork from a wine bottle that I was forced to indulge in...heehee...but no such luck. Well, as I shopped I noticed packages of cork squares and that's when it hit me. I could make my board into a real bulletin board and actually staple things on and not glue or tape things up. Woohoo! I bought 4 packages of 4 thinking that was way too much. There was a 5th package but I left it because I didn't want to be greedy. Haha!

As I started in my class today I thought putting up the board would be a quick job and I would get everything done. NOT!!! I was there from 8-4 working on the blankity blank board!! I also had to make another trip to the store because I ran out of cork!!!! I remembered the extra package I left and that would have been perfect. Guess what??? It was gone!!! Whah!!! Now what?? I had half a board complete. I searched everywhere!!! They did have some other cork squares but they were thicker and almost a black color and I found a roll of cork. Who knew cork rolled??? hmm... The rolled cork was thinner than the squares I had previously purchased so I figured I could double it and it would be the same thickness. I was desparate so I bought two rolls and the black cork sqaures. What a headache!


Back at school I started measuring and cutting and gluing. Yes, I took out the old hot glue gun. Poor thing...it's on its last leg. The glue gun is either a teachers friend or foe! A few years back I could have thrown mine out the window because I burned myself so bad! I know it's not the guns fault but I do blame it! Ha! I still have the war wound on my hand and it's been over 5 years now! Eeek!


It took me ALL day to finish gluing the pieces up and finally able to staple things on it. Once I was done I was exhausted but loved being able to staple and remove things. I looked around and I still have a bunch of little things to do...but I don't wanna!! I pray that tomorrow, day 5, will be the last day of this prep nightmare! Stay tuned!

XOXO!

No comments:

Post a Comment